Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 88 of 88

Thread: Duane Allman and Berry Oakley

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,447
    Someone needs to get Julia to write a book, I'd read it.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    on the cusp of Memphis and DeSoto Co MS
    Posts
    1,261
    I believe Berry Duane Oakley is Berry Oakley's son, he looks just like Berry Oakley. On Julia Negron's MySpace page in the "Pics" section there is a very poignant photo of Julia standing next to Berry's grave holding Baby Berry.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,024
    i love the Allman Brother's one of my favorite songs of all time is The Whipping Post.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    3,041
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    i love the Allman Brother's one of my favorite songs of all time is The Whipping Post.
    No doubt! It's the best to listen to when you're feeling like the whole world is using you for a toilet!!
    GR6-1890
    I may look calm. But in my head, I've killed you three times.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,975
    This is the pic I remember best from when I was a kid.

    I also remember when Berry Oakley died and someone had the Rolling Stone magazine that covered his death. I had to ask what 'incoherent' meant, I'd never seen the word and couldn't figure out what it meant, as in 'Berry Oakley was incoherent after the accident' or some such.
    What a weird thing to remember Early, early Death Hagginess on my part.


  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Azusa, California
    Posts
    7,948
    The new museum in Macon is fantastic...great location too.

    Duane and Berry are buried at Rose Hill Cemetary...

    http://www.rosehillcemetery.org/

    <a href=http://www.findadeath.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3176&dateline=1396157644 target=_blank>http://www.findadeath.com/forum/imag...ine=1396157644</a>
    Dr. Wigglesworth Hijacks Andy Griffith Broadcast via WPXC in Jacksonville, Florida --->
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9W4v7vNfFI&list=UU0Lga9ep13H65gs7nmwLdCQ

    "Never go to bed with anger in your heart." ~ Seagorath

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    3,041
    Thanks for the link, Sea. The pics are the next best thing to being there!
    GR6-1890
    I may look calm. But in my head, I've killed you three times.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Miami, OK (my-am-uh!)
    Posts
    434
    Just found this-WOW! Aretha and DUane doing "the weight"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INgbU02dJu8

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Miami, OK (my-am-uh!)
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    The new museum in Macon is fantastic...great location too.

    Duane and Berry are buried at Rose Hill Cemetary...

    http://www.rosehillcemetery.org/

    Great pic Sea-can you believe he was just 24? I think the mustache throws me off.-incredibly gifted musician.

    It's incredibly ironic about how they both wrecked basically under the same circumstances within a mile of each other. Imo quite fitting they're buried side by side.
    Last edited by A-train; 04-20-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: because.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Miami, OK (my-am-uh!)
    Posts
    434

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Azusa, California
    Posts
    7,948
    Cheers again, A. The sites where they wrecked are in downtown Macon. Tourists can be seen taking photographs there. Love the tunes.

    Quote Originally Posted by A-train View Post
    Great pic Sea-can you believe he was just 24? I think the mustache throws me off.-incredibly gifted musician.

    It's incredibly ironic about how they both wrecked basically under the same circumstances within a mile of each other. Imo quite fitting they're buried side by side.
    <a href=http://www.findadeath.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3176&dateline=1396157644 target=_blank>http://www.findadeath.com/forum/imag...ine=1396157644</a>
    Dr. Wigglesworth Hijacks Andy Griffith Broadcast via WPXC in Jacksonville, Florida --->
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9W4v7vNfFI&list=UU0Lga9ep13H65gs7nmwLdCQ

    "Never go to bed with anger in your heart." ~ Seagorath

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Miami, OK (my-am-uh!)
    Posts
    434
    [quote=Seagorath;1029664]Cheers again, A. The sites where they wrecked are in downtown Macon. Tourists can be seen taking photographs there. Love the tunes.[/q

    My new interest is canned heat-I had no idea alan wilson was legally blind or what have you...pretty sad guy. GREAT band though-I can't believe they aren't in the hall.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nunya Bidness
    Posts
    10,661
    Quote Originally Posted by A-train View Post
    Just found this-WOW! Aretha and DUane doing "the weight"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INgbU02dJu8
    OOooh I wish my soundcard worked!

    Nice profile pic there sis. LOL

  14. #64
    Hi, Folks- Enjoying the thread; thought I could improve on some of the information here. Duane and Berry died in the suburban part of Macon, not downtown. Right after my senior year of college I briefly lived on Hillcrest a few blocks short of Duane's crash site (meaning he would have passed my house under a minute before) and just prior to that I had lived less than a mile beyond Berry's site (meaning he didn't quite make it to my place). Jaimoe was still kicking around the local clubs in those days (mid 80s).

    Late in the afternoon of Friday, October 29, 1971, Duane was on his way from the Big House (owned by Berry and Linda) to his apartment, fairly near the current Macon Mall, I think, to retrieve stored birthday presents for a surprise party (for Berry's sister or wife, not sure which, both named Linda, I think). Several friends were following in cars; when Duane turned onto Hillcrest to take a shortcut through a quiet little suburban neighborhood, Berry missed the turn and didn't witness the accident maybe forty seconds later. As Duane approached Bartlett on his cycle, headed slightly downhill, the driver of a lumber truck coming up the hill from the other direction failed to see him coming and went into a left turn in front of him. Duane aimed his cycle wide to the left to try to squeeze past, but the truck abruptly stopped directly in Duane's path. It is not known for certain what happened next- Duane might have struck the crane on the back of the truck, or not, but he was thrown from the bike and struck the pavement, and the bike glanced off his chest, causing the internal injuries that he died from several hours later. The truck driver and his company were found liable for the accident. The driver apparently died about five years later, of causes I don't know, on the anniversary of Berry's death- November 11.

    On November 11, 1972, about mid-afternoon, Berry was more or less racing his cycle with one of the band's roadies on Napier when he tried to pass a car on the left at a huge bend of the road near Inverness, nearly a ninety degree turn to the right. A Macon City bus was making the turn coming the other way, and Berry didn't have a chance to make the sharp right turn within his own lane. He strayed over the lane, and when he struck the front end of the bus it was at about a forty-five degree angle to him in mid-turn, so that he "pinballed" into the back of the bus and struck it a second time. With this second impact he was airborne, and I believe he may also have had his bike land on him. In any case, he basically cracked his skull and was a dead man walking. He caught a ride to the Big House, and was later taken to the hospital delirious and in pain, and died there. Doctors said that he could not have been saved, even if he had gone promptly to the emergency room.

    Should have all that about 95% correct or better, apologies if I made any mistakes.

    To understand the connection between the crash sites, draw a square. The two vertical lines are Napier (l) and Hillcrest (r), which run parallel. The two horizontal lines are Bartlett (top) and Inverness (bottom), which run parallel. The last street Duane crossed safely was Inverness; he crashed at Bartlett. The last street Berry crossed safely was Bartlett; he crashed at Inverness. So on your square, Duane was killed at the top right corner, and Berry was killed at the bottom left corner. Three very long blocks apart, maybe half a mile directly across (just a guess).

    Berry was as powerful and gifted a bass player as Duane was a slide guitarist- a sensational musician who had a lot to do with arranging the band's songs. The powerful, stinging guitar intro to "Whipping Post" was his, for example.

    On "Layla" Duane plays the soaring high part over the opening riff, the second time you hear Clapton down low. Duane originated his part and it was considered so important to the song that he was given 2% of the publishing, though he was not credited. His daughter later sued to actually collect the 2%. And of course the brilliant solo over the piano section is him, and the song ends with his signature "bird chirp" sounds (which Lynyrd Skynrd have often mimicked in tribute- "Free Bird" is dedicated to Duane and Berry).

    The spirit of the Allman Brothers Band hangs heavy and eerie over Macon, Georgia to this day, and I hope it always will. Even the living members of the band seem to haunt College Street as their younger selves.

    Great forum! Thanks for letting me be a part of it, however briefly (and long-windedly), and thanks for bringing up one of my very favorite subjects on this earth!

    Here's an incredibly rare clip in color of the band with Duane and Berry, never officially released anywhere as far as I know. I think there may be less than half an hour of known professional color footage of the band with Duane in existence.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt9-0...eature=related

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Warwick, RI, USA
    Posts
    1,914
    Really great contribution to the thread, Surfer Joe! And welcome!

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NY Long Island
    Posts
    4,727
    Loved the Allman Brothers was/is one of my favorite groups especially at that time.
    I was at Ludlow Garage (great venue, Jim Tarbell was the Fillmore impresario of Cincinnati) when they recorded what I think was their greatest album.
    Ludlow Garage did not serve alcohol and minors were permitted. I had just turned 18 and wow what a night!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at...w_Garage:_1970
    They died way too young. Here is the band intact at the Fillmore.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHhKnc0XZrs
    Love Dicky Betts.
    Regards,
    Mary

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nunya Bidness
    Posts
    10,661
    Quote Originally Posted by stsfirstmate View Post
    loved the allman brothers was/is one of my favorite groups especially at that time.
    I was at ludlow garage (great venue, jim tarbell was the fillmore impresario of cincinnati) when they recorded what i think was their greatest album.
    Ludlow garage did not serve alcohol and minors were permitted. I had just turned 18 and wow what a night!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/live_at...w_garage:_1970
    they died way too young. Here is the band intact at the fillmore.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khhknc0xzrs
    love dicky betts.
    Regards,
    mary
    omg lucky!

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    3,041
    I agree! Great read, Surfer Joe! Glad you're here, welcome!
    GR6-1890
    I may look calm. But in my head, I've killed you three times.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    The new museum in Macon is fantastic...great location too.

    Duane and Berry are buried at Rose Hill Cemetary...

    http://www.rosehillcemetery.org/

    if the museum is The Big House,i use to stop by there on my way home frome school when they were still there and bullshit with them.Berry had given me a speaker magnet off the tour truck one day.we talked bikes and stuff.they kept them in a lean to in the back yard.is the pay phone still on the wall below the steps ?

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    131
    This wasn't done by me, but this is interesting

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTiQs2DcuuY

  21. #71
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer Joe View Post
    Hi, Folks- Enjoying the thread; thought I could improve on some of the information here. Duane and Berry died in the suburban part of Macon, not downtown. Right after my senior year of college I briefly lived on Hillcrest a few blocks short of Duane's crash site (meaning he would have passed my house under a minute before) and just prior to that I had lived less than a mile beyond Berry's site (meaning he didn't quite make it to my place). Jaimoe was still kicking around the local clubs in those days (mid 80s).

    Late in the afternoon of Friday, October 29, 1971, Duane was on his way from the Big House (owned by Berry and Linda) to his apartment, fairly near the current Macon Mall, I think, to retrieve stored birthday presents for a surprise party (for Berry's sister or wife, not sure which, both named Linda, I think). Several friends were following in cars; when Duane turned onto Hillcrest to take a shortcut through a quiet little suburban neighborhood, Berry missed the turn and didn't witness the accident maybe forty seconds later. As Duane approached Bartlett on his cycle, headed slightly downhill, the driver of a lumber truck coming up the hill from the other direction failed to see him coming and went into a left turn in front of him. Duane aimed his cycle wide to the left to try to squeeze past, but the truck abruptly stopped directly in Duane's path. It is not known for certain what happened next- Duane might have struck the crane on the back of the truck, or not, but he was thrown from the bike and struck the pavement, and the bike glanced off his chest, causing the internal injuries that he died from several hours later. The truck driver and his company were found liable for the accident. The driver apparently died about five years later, of causes I don't know, on the anniversary of Berry's death- November 11.

    On November 11, 1972, about mid-afternoon, Berry was more or less racing his cycle with one of the band's roadies on Napier when he tried to pass a car on the left at a huge bend of the road near Inverness, nearly a ninety degree turn to the right. A Macon City bus was making the turn coming the other way, and Berry didn't have a chance to make the sharp right turn within his own lane. He strayed over the lane, and when he struck the front end of the bus it was at about a forty-five degree angle to him in mid-turn, so that he "pinballed" into the back of the bus and struck it a second time. With this second impact he was airborne, and I believe he may also have had his bike land on him. In any case, he basically cracked his skull and was a dead man walking. He caught a ride to the Big House, and was later taken to the hospital delirious and in pain, and died there. Doctors said that he could not have been saved, even if he had gone promptly to the emergency room.

    Should have all that about 95% correct or better, apologies if I made any mistakes.

    To understand the connection between the crash sites, draw a square. The two vertical lines are Napier (l) and Hillcrest (r), which run parallel. The two horizontal lines are Bartlett (top) and Inverness (bottom), which run parallel. The last street Duane crossed safely was Inverness; he crashed at Bartlett. The last street Berry crossed safely was Bartlett; he crashed at Inverness. So on your square, Duane was killed at the top right corner, and Berry was killed at the bottom left corner. Three very long blocks apart, maybe half a mile directly across (just a guess).

    Berry was as powerful and gifted a bass player as Duane was a slide guitarist- a sensational musician who had a lot to do with arranging the band's songs. The powerful, stinging guitar intro to "Whipping Post" was his, for example.

    On "Layla" Duane plays the soaring high part over the opening riff, the second time you hear Clapton down low. Duane originated his part and it was considered so important to the song that he was given 2% of the publishing, though he was not credited. His daughter later sued to actually collect the 2%. And of course the brilliant solo over the piano section is him, and the song ends with his signature "bird chirp" sounds (which Lynyrd Skynrd have often mimicked in tribute- "Free Bird" is dedicated to Duane and Berry).

    The spirit of the Allman Brothers Band hangs heavy and eerie over Macon, Georgia to this day, and I hope it always will. Even the living members of the band seem to haunt College Street as their younger selves.

    Great forum! Thanks for letting me be a part of it, however briefly (and long-windedly), and thanks for bringing up one of my very favorite subjects on this earth!

    Here's an incredibly rare clip in color of the band with Duane and Berry, never officially released anywhere as far as I know. I think there may be less than half an hour of known professional color footage of the band with Duane in existence.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt9-0...eature=related
    I knowm this thread is a few years old, trying anyhow

    Very very interresing. Thanks a lot.

    One thing that puzzles me, and i can't seem to find any info: WHY did the truck stop in the middle of the turn? It almost seems deliberate action towards a biker??
    Have you heard any info on that part?

    Thanks

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Corralitos, Cal
    Posts
    6,976
    He probably saw him at the last second and hit the truck brakes.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    929
    I dont get it. No leather jackets, no helmets, etc??
    RIP Heath Ledger 1979-2008

  24. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorba View Post
    I knowm this thread is a few years old, trying anyhow

    Very very interresing. Thanks a lot.

    One thing that puzzles me, and i can't seem to find any info: WHY did the truck stop in the middle of the turn? It almost seems deliberate action towards a biker??
    Have you heard any info on that part?

    Thanks
    I just checked back in on this thread, and I should have included the answer to your question to begin with: lumber truck driver Charles Wertz stopped in mid-left-turn because he saw a pothole ahead of him on Bartlett. So tragically, it was his second error that killed Howard Duane Allman. If you go there today I believe you can still make out the pothole.

    A little more: It's kind of a sad little shady tree-lined street, sloping steadily downwards, and by the time you reach Bartlett- the crash intersection- the houses are a good deal less nice than they are nearer the top of the street (where I lived one Summer). Two of the Allman Brothers Band girls witnessed the crash, and the first house where they knocked to ask for the phone to get help they were refused. If you turn onto Bartlett as Chuck Wertz was doing that afternoon you'll immediately enter what is still an industrial area.

    Hope you see this, and thanks to all for the kind words.

  25. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by suzycreamcheese1 View Post
    I dont get it. No leather jackets, no helmets, etc??
    Suzy, I'm pretty sure both were wearing helmets. Duane was killed because the bike glanced off his chest and caused internal injuries.

    Berry was killed because he landed on his head (both were thrown more than thirty feet) and basically punched a hole in his forehead. He hitched home from the crash site, and then I think he went and visited friends about a downtown jam session to be held that night at Grant's Lounge before coming down the stairs of the Big House with a severe headache and speaking incoherently. Then he was finally taken to the hospital, but as I stated above doctors said he was a dead man walking from the moment of impact.

    Duane was not responsible for his accident and his system was free of drugs at the time. Berry was at fault and was always known to have been a terrible bike rider. I believe he was killed on a Triumph and Duane was killed on a customized Harley. Berry had been in an extreme tailspin since Duane's death and Gregg has a lot to say about it in his new book. He says "I don't know if he was trying to die", but confirms that the drug abuse got out of control during Berry's final year and that Gregg and Dickey Betts were doing things like taking Berry to the zoo in off hours to try to keep him straight for as long as possible. Of course those two were in for their own problems.
    Last edited by Surfer Joe; 12-22-2012 at 03:49 AM.

  26. #76
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2
    Surfer Joe, thanks a lot for updating this thread with, what i consider very valuable information for us fans of the great Duane and Berry!

  27. #77
    Sorba, so glad you looked back in!!! I felt bad for missing your message for so long, especially since I knew the answer! There are a few great books on the ABB and Duane, and that's where my information came from- as well as having a good grip on the geography from having lived there. It still awes me when I pass through Macon to think that such incredibly brilliant and legendary musicians were once knocking around there and eating in the same places I did and so on- especially in such a small town. An amazing moment in time for Macon. Whenever I'm there I always go by both sites to honor them.

  28. #78
    A biker retraces Duane and Berry's fateful rides in Macon 1971-72. Crash sites were within blocks of each other.

    P.S. Video already posted.
    Last edited by StudioJoe; 01-22-2013 at 03:03 PM.

  29. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer Joe View Post
    ...lumber truck driver Charles Wertz stopped in mid-left-turn because he saw a pothole ahead of him on Bartlett. So tragically, it was his second error that killed Howard Duane Allman. If you go there today I believe you can still make out the pothole.
    If the trucker's action was truly unintentional, must have weighed heavily on him when he realized whose death he had caused.

  30. #80
    Yes, there was an official inquiry that held him to blame. That must have been awful. There was also a lawsuit against the company by Duane's last girlfriend, but I don't think she was able to establish any legal standing. In Wertz' defense, Duane would have been traveling fairly fast and coming down a shady, tree-lined street- understandably, Wertz never saw him.

    A friend of mine looked into Wertz for me and we're pretty sure he died- no idea of what- in 1976 on the fourth anniversary of Berry's death.

    Can't remember if this has been mentioned in the thread, but for years the story went around that Duane had hit a peach truck, and thus the next ABB album was called Eat A Peach. In fact, he hit a lumber truck (it's actually not certain at all whether he actually even hit the truck), but he did supply the album title with this interview comment, in answer to a question about what he was doing for the revolution: "There ain't no revolution, it's evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace."

  31. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brasstown/Murphy, North Carolina (USA)
    Posts
    1,201
    That is correct. I think the info can also be found on the ABB's official site about that quote (which I joined a few days ago - I'm a huge fan of Duane and, from looking at pics of he a Berry Oakley, it's sorta weird how they both were so thin and sorta looked alike except for the facial hair.

    (BTW, surfer joe, I sent you a friend request)..
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

  32. #82
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10
    I grew up listening to The Allman Brothers. I am PISSED to see Midnight Rider reduced to a damned Geico commercial.
    http://www.bigdaddiproductions.com

    Date Like a Guy, so u don't get played like a bitch!

  33. #83
    In 1970, Columbia High School in Decatur, Georgia, booked a local band for junior-senior prom that some students said were amazing. Soon after the booking, the band released a double album titled "Live At The Fillmore East" and became superstars. The Allman Brothers showed their stuff and honored the contract to play the high school date. What a helluva prom night that must have been!

    Morbid coincidence: that same year Mark David Chapman, future assassin of John Lennon, was a freshman at Columbia High. source: The Strip Project
    Last edited by StudioJoe; 04-17-2013 at 02:27 PM.

  34. #84
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    474
    There's a new documentary about Muscle Shoals, AL, the town where the famous Muscle Shoals Sound and Fame Studios are located. Duane Allman played there as a session musician before and during the big days of ABB success. He played guitar on great songs like "The Weight" by Aretha Franklin and even convinced Wilson Pickett to record a version of "Hey Jude".

    Muscles Shoals was an amazing small town that was home to some of the most innovative music during the 60's, 70's and 80's. Great session musicians and producers brought us great music from Aretha, Dusty Springfield Rolling Stones ("Wild Horses", "Brown Sugar") Wilson Pickett, Bob Seger ("Night Moves" was recorded there), The Staples Singers, Paul Simon, and dozens more.

    http://muscleshoalsmovie.com/#about

  35. #85
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1

    Helmets This is for Surfer Joe and Suzy from a long time ago

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer Joe View Post
    Suzy, I'm pretty sure both were wearing helmets. Duane was killed because the bike glanced off his chest and caused internal injuries.

    Berry was killed because he landed on his head (both were thrown more than thirty feet) and basically punched a hole in his forehead. He hitched home from the crash site, and then I think he went and visited friends about a downtown jam session to be held that night at Grant's Lounge before coming down the stairs of the Big House with a severe headache and speaking incoherently. Then he was finally taken to the hospital, but as I stated above doctors said he was a dead man walking from the moment of impact.

    Duane was not responsible for his accident and his system was free of drugs at the time. Berry was at fault and was always known to have been a terrible bike rider. I believe he was killed on a Triumph and Duane was killed on a customized Harley. Berry had been in an extreme tailspin since Duane's death and Gregg has a lot to say about it in his new book. He says "I don't know if he was trying to die", but confirms that the drug abuse got out of control during Berry's final year and that Gregg and Dickey Betts were doing things like taking Berry to the zoo in off hours to try to keep him straight for as long as possible. Of course those two were in for their own problems.
    Georgia was the first state to have a helmet law (required helmets) back in 1962 ratified in 1969...so I am thinking they must have had helmets on, but fast rate of speed/curb - helmets don't win. Sad. Surfer Joe, you seem to know a lot about this. I remember the song Surfer Joe, is that where you got your name?

  36. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsixxraven View Post
    I grew up listening to The Allman Brothers. I am PISSED to see Midnight Rider reduced to a damned Geico commercial.
    How about using the Allman Brothers Band to sell motorcycle insurance? That's what the commercial is for- Geico Motorcycle coverage. One-third of the musicians you're selling with died on motorcycles, Geico.

    EDIT: And here we go:

    http://now.msn.com/geico-criticized-...-motorcycle-ad

    Quote Originally Posted by Martha View Post
    Georgia was the first state to have a helmet law (required helmets) back in 1962 ratified in 1969...so I am thinking they must have had helmets on, but fast rate of speed/curb - helmets don't win. Sad. Surfer Joe, you seem to know a lot about this. I remember the song Surfer Joe, is that where you got your name?
    (A) Did not know that- interesting. And I'm pretty certain they were both wearing helmets. I think Berry's cracked in front as he received his fatal head injury to the forehead area. I'd have to look that up to be sure. As a little kid I remember the huge uproar about fatal motorcycle accidents around that time, and it became a big issue in our family when my oldest brother wanted to buy one in the very early seventies. I'm sure now that the Allman Brothers Band were the source of all the local news my parents were picking up on ( I grew up in Atlanta, and live here again now).

    (B) Absolutely! I'm a huge fan of surf, especially the Beach Boys, and I knew some of the Surfaris when I lived in L.A. in the nineties (mainly the late Jim Pash). Saw them live several times. I grew up with "Wipe Out"/"Surfer Joe" on the Dot label, I believe, and still have my well-worn copy.
    Last edited by Surfer Joe; 09-17-2013 at 09:59 PM.

  37. #87
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer Joe View Post
    UGH.....Fuck off Geico.


    Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

  38. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    BTown
    Posts
    27,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer Joe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynful View Post
    UGH.....Fuck off Geico.
    Do not stack your posts, please.
    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. --Matthew 7:12



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •