Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bette Davis

Bette Davis

Am I crazy?? Is the only thread about her "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" thread??

I am ashamed to admit that I only recently started watching her movies. "All About Eve" is AMAZING!

OMG yes All About Eve is amazing Watched it a few weeks ago for the first time and couldn't take my attention away from it. Bette was amazing in everyhting she was ever in! I could go on and on about her lol
    You'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies...

Bette was awesome in everything she did, including the TV stuff she did in her later years, I think she did an episode of "The Big Valley." I loved Bette!
    In memory of a wonderful actor who left us way too soon - William Holden 1918-1981.

Guest Guest
    I have a sister like that......lol just joking not by much though...

Wonder if Kelt might have any bio info on her that is not the typical fare found on Google ??

What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

]

Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    Am I crazy?? Is the only thread about her "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" thread??

I am ashamed to admit that I only recently started watching her movies. "All About Eve" is AMAZING!
    There is another thread about her and Joan Crawford together, but the original poster spelled Bette's name wrong

I just love Bette Davis .. and yes, Kelt, if you would enlighten us!! Not sure if you posted over in the other thread or not!

The daughter

Quote Originally Posted by Dylgem22 View Post
    There is another thread about her and Joan Crawford together, but the original poster spelled Bette's name wrong

I just love Bette Davis .. and yes, Kelt, if you would enlighten us!! Not sure if you posted over in the other thread or not!
    Bette Davis' daughter, B.D. Hyman, who wrote the tell-all book on her mother, "My Mother's Keeper," (which I read and is hysterically funny) is like her mother. No BS with her and she looks like she could take care of you if you did something she disliked. BD was a born again Christian and she decided it was time to tell her mother to be a better grandmother and person in general. Hence the book. Bette believed all men were snakes. When she moved to the country with her new husband, Gary Merrill, she went to the water and gathered up seaweed. She had this weird cookbook and she wanted to make seaweed pudding. Gross. When she invited someone for dinner, she invariably served macaroni and cheese. One time at a restaurant, Bette, her daughter and someone else were seated at the bar as there wasn't an empty table yet. Bette Davis said, What's taking so long? We're sitting out here like a bunch of refugees.

BD now is a minister, and she's as tough as nails as her mother was. She has a TV show on some religious station. She also has a website. She says writing a book about her mother when Bette was still alive didn't help anything. BD goes on to say that she would write to Bette about how much she loved her and was praying for her. BD never visited her when she had the double mastectomy or the stroke. Asked by a reporter, BD said, "She'll outlive us all." And they asked her how would she remember her mother. BD responded, "As a great dramatic actress."

Now on TV she's saying you can't change anyone, all you can do is pray for that person, ask God to help her. So, I guess what she's saying roundabout is she should have never written that book about her mother. She used to think she could change someone, but now realizes she can't.

jigsaw

I've heard about BD. She was actually IN Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. I haven't read the book, I don't know that I want to?

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    Bette Davis' daughter, B.D. Hyman, who wrote the tell-all book on her mother, "My Mother's Keeper," (which I read and is hysterically funny) is like her mother. No BS with her and she looks like she could take care of you if you did something she disliked. BD was a born again Christian and she decided it was time to tell her mother to be a better grandmother and person in general. Hence the book. Bette believed all men were snakes. When she moved to the country with her new husband, Gary Merrill, she went to the water and gathered up seaweed. She had this weird cookbook and she wanted to make seaweed pudding. Gross. When she invited someone for dinner, she invariably served macaroni and cheese. One time at a restaurant, Bette, her daughter and someone else were seated at the bar as there wasn't an empty table yet. Bette Davis said, What's taking so long? We're sitting out here like a bunch of refugees.

BD now is a minister, and she's as tough as nails as her mother was. She has a TV show on some religious station. She also has a website. She says writing a book about her mother when Bette was still alive didn't help anything. BD goes on to say that she would write to Bette about how much she loved her and was praying for her. BD never visited her when she had the double mastectomy or the stroke. Asked by a reporter, BD said, "She'll outlive us all." And they asked her how would she remember her mother. BD responded, "As a great dramatic actress."

Now on TV she's saying you can't change anyone, all you can do is pray for that person, ask God to help her. So, I guess what she's saying roundabout is she should have never written that book about her mother. She used to think she could change someone, but now realizes she can't.

jigsaw

jigsaw
    You're out of your mind !
    That daughter is the cunt from hell !! Miserable bitch went through with publishing that goddamn book even though her mother had just endured a stroke and a double mastectomy. The brother called her once he got wind of the upcoming publication and begged her not to go through with it fearing it would further injure their ailing mother: "(But) I've already spent much of the advance !," wailed BD (Big Dipshit)

(And) to have claim that her main purpose in writing that book was to try to save her soul.........bullshit ! Since when has a child benefitted a parent by publicly humiliating them ? They should have tarred & feathered that twat !

Look at her ! PIG WHORE !
    Looks like the end result after one of those evil THETANS that TOM CRUISE is often rambling about procreated with a large carnation !
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

My Mother's Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    I've heard about BD. She was actually IN Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. I haven't read the book, I don't know that I want to?
    My mother and I found it very funny. We both loved Bette Davis. My mother shared the same birth date. I liked her even more when I read the book. It's called My Mother's Keeper by B.D. Hyman. Great book.

There's more about Bette Davis and Joan Crawford on the blog: whatpricefame.blogspot.com

jigsaw
    Last edited by Jigsaw; 12-05-2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Added something

What?

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    You're out of your mind !
    That daughter is the cunt from hell !! Miserable bitch went through with publishing that goddamn book even though her mother had just endured a stroke and a double mastectomy. The brother called her once he got wind of the upcoming publication and begged her not to go through with it fearing it would further injure their ailing mother: "(But) I've already spent much of the advance !," wailed BD (Big Dipshit)

(And) to have claim that her main purpose in writing that book was to try to save her soul.........bullshit ! Since when has a child benefitted a parent by publicly humiliating them ? They should have tarred & feathered that twat !

Look at her ! PIG WHORE !

Looks like the end result after one of those evil THETANS that TOM CRUISE is often rambling about procreated with a large carnation !
    Kelt, did you think I was defending the daughter? Because she's a minister? Absolutely not. As a matter of fact I don't follow any organized religion. I was just telling the story. I'm completely on Bette's side. But I did enjoy the book.

How could you think I agreed with the daughter? Don't use hate words to describe women.

jigsaw

Kelt, did you think I was defending the daughter? Because she's a minister? Absolutely not. As a matter of fact I don't follow any organized religion. I was just telling the story. I'm completely on Bette's side. But I did enjoy the book.

How could you think I agreed with the daughter? Don't use hate words to describe women.

jigsaw
    Where the hell did you get the notion that BD is a woman ?
    BD is a succubus !

i've read many of bette's biographies, about her early life, having her children. it seems to me that the daughter was a no account, spoiled, jealous little creep, who broke her mother's heart. her mom did the best she could with what she knew. consider bette's own early life, taking care of her mother, her sister, and no account husbands who drained her dry. her talent, and her movies kept them all going for years and years. bd can drown in hell as far as i'm concerned. she will never be, not with all her hiding behind her religiocity, anything but an ungrateful , hateful person. blah. now she's 'changing her tune' to suit her own publicity. how transparent is that. she's more like her idiot father who regularly beat bette, and demanded still her support. bd virginal maidenhead unbroken hyman can kiss my arse. lolol
    pull the string!

hell0 kitty!
    I love Bette Davis and always have. But I know nothing about her personal life, and want to read a book about her, but need to know which is the best? which one do you recommend??

In her second memoir, This 'N That (1987), Davis wrote, "I am still recovering from the fact that a child of mine would write about me behind my back, to say nothing about the kind of book it is. I will never recover as completely from B.D.'s book as I have from the stroke. Both were shattering experiences." Her memoir concluded with a letter to her daughter, in which she addressed her several times as "Hyman", and described her actions as "a glaring lack of loyalty and thanks for the very privileged life I feel you have been given". She concluded with a reference to the title of Hyman's book, "If it refers to money, if my memory serves me right, I've been your keeper all these many years. I am continuing to do so, as my name has made your book about me a success."
    ---wiki

I read BD's book and I was so angry at that TWAT!

I loved Bette. Faults and all. Everyone has faults but No....................... BD had to write about a woman that many people loved and admired. I've disliked BD ever since. It pained me to see Bette with her stroke and speaking about the book.

As for Bette she has always been my most favorite actress. No one could copy her. She was a woman to be dealt with. I still believe the Oscars never gave her her due for that fabulous film early in her career. (Forgot the name of it -- BRAIN FART).

I will always love Bette. RIP Bette darling wherever you are. From your biggest fan.
    Scott Michaels knows more about death than Dexter.

Quote Originally Posted by Reecy View Post
    I read BD's book and I was so angry at that TWAT!

I loved Bette. Faults and all. Everyone has faults but No....................... BD had to write about a woman that many people loved and admired. I've disliked BD ever since. It pained me to see Bette with her stroke and speaking about the book.

As for Bette she has always been my most favorite actress. No one could copy her. She was a woman to be dealt with. I still believe the Oscars never gave her her due for that fabulous film early in her career. (Forgot the name of it -- BRAIN FART).

I will always love Bette. RIP Bette darling wherever you are. From your biggest fan.

AMEN!

THE BOOK MENTIONED 'THIS N THAT' IS A GOOD START! I WILL LOOK FOR SOME MORE TITLES
    pull the string!

I don't think BD is totally awful. Of course, failing to mention in her book that Bette had been supporting her and her family for like 20 years which is what of course made a bad situation worse with Bette's normally controlling behavior towards BD and her contempt for the unemployed husband makes the crazy Bette from the book more rational if you take it in that context. It also explains all the conflict with Bette not wanting to do bad projects, particularly TV that she hated, but BD prodding her to do it and the fights. Bette had to do those projects to support them all. If I'd supported my daughter and her family for that long, then yes, I'd demand BD's full attention when I wanted it and I would make cracks about the husband. It's human nature.

That being said, my impression from reading the book many times is, I don't think the born-again stuff had anything to do with it, the book was almost all finished when she became born-again and she'd already spent the advance as has been noted by Kelt. I think it was that BD couldn't take Bette's controlling behavior anymore, or maybe better said, her husband and sons could not. BD had tried cutting Bette out before many times because her family couldn't hande it, but to no avail, agents and lawyers calling all the time, BD caves in because she loves her mother and feels bad. So BD did something so venonmous and vengeful that she knew would get her mother out of her life for good--the book. And she needed the money if they were going to cut ties. Honestly, I think that's what happened, I think she could handle her mother, but her husband and sons gave her an ultimatum and she chose them. I can only hope Bette can forgive her, they were so close for years.

Have you watched her show? It's a riot. She talks about Halloween being the devil's holiday and how children are kidnapped and killed in sacrifice every Halloween. She can also, for a fee, remove evil spirits who have attached themselves to you from hell. Evil spirits in hell know her name and fear her. The show's great, don't miss it. It's on (or used to be on) Sunday afternoon on one of the Christian channels on DirecTV.

Anyway, FOLKS, this is a Bette Davis thread, not a BD Hyman thread!

I loved her in All About Eve, that's probably my favorite. A Stolen Life was a quite good 1960s flick that was on a nice scale. I never could get into the Letter, though, am I the only one?? I just didn't think she was mean or evil enough in her portrayal for her to be a murderous adultress. I know, that's considered one of her best, but I was disappointed.
    LOVED her in Death on the Nile.

There is one story I remember reading about Bette Davis many years ago that I often wondered if it was actually true or not.

The story goes that one night Bette was doing some play/Broadway show or something. Just before she was to take the stage she sees in the audience a woman and her young son. Bette then gets someone from backstage to go into the audience to get that woman to come back stage because Bette wanted to tell her something very important.

The woman goes backstage and Bette tells her if really loved her son they would leave now. The mother asks why only to have Bette tell her that if her son ends up enjoying the play then he would grow up to "be a fag".

How the story ended I heard two different versions. One says the woman and son quickly leaves. The other story goes that the woman tells Bette to mind her own business.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    Anyway, FOLKS, this is a Bette Davis thread, not a BD Hyman thread!

I loved her in All About Eve, that's probably my favorite. A Stolen Life was a quite good 1960s flick that was on a nice scale. I never could get into the Letter, though, am I the only one?? I just didn't think she was mean or evil enough in her portrayal for her to be a murderous adultress. I know, that's considered one of her best, but I was disappointed.

A STOLEN LIFE was released in '46. BETTE played twins in that one, and also in the 1964 DEAD RINGER (which I enjoyed).
    BETTE said that she was most proud of her work in DARK VICTORY- that one was her personal favorite too. Her second favorite was NOW, VOYAGER and then finally ALL ABOUT EVE & WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE ?.

Myself, I'd also include THE LITTLE FOXES, THE CORN IS GREEN, MR. SKEFFINGTON, THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH & ESSEX, and THE NANNY.

DEAD RINGER

loved her greatly, still do.
    pull the string!

Where the hell did you get the notion that BD is a woman ?

BD is a succubus !
    LMAO succubus!

I have not heard that word in YEARS!

Kelt, you kill me, you really do!

A STOLEN LIFE was released in '46. BETTE played twins in that one, and also in the 1964 DEAD RINGER (which I enjoyed).
    BETTE said that she was most proud of her work in DARK VICTORY- that one was her personal favorite too. Her second favorite was NOW, VOYAGER and then finally ALL ABOUT EVE & WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE ?.

Myself, I'd also include THE LITTLE FOXES, THE CORN IS GREEN, MR. SKEFFINGTON, THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH & ESSEX, and THE NANNY.

DEAD RINGER
    I can't believe I mixed those up!!! I hopw I can still be a member of the fan club, right?

Mr. Skeffington I liked quite a bit.

Wink Did Bette Davis kill her husband?

Bette Davis husband Arthur Farnsworth was walking down the street and screamed out in pain fell down cracked his head and died.
    The autospy showed he had had a head injury shortly beofer his death and that is what really killed him.
    "The blood in the fracture was black and coagulated,noting that it would have been purple if it had been caused by the fall just 2 days before his death. Bette said he had slipped onthe stairs at home and hit his head a few days before his death"
    An eyewitness said "something happened to him before he he hit the ground".
    Bette had to go before the inquest of a 6 man jury. They said her star status made the jury believe her and not the coroner.
    She allegedly made a statement to her lover Victor Sherman that she had "pushed him at a train station and he had fallen and hit his head". Later she told Tennesse Williams that she caught him in bed with Ann Sherridan and bashed him with a wrought iron lamp 10 days before he died."
    She said "farny and I had a good life together. I believe it would have gone on forever".
    From Book" Hollywood Babylon: It's Back." (Blood Moon productions.

I got this from the new National Examiner. I had to read it as Robert Redford is getting married LOL

I just heard about this too. I wonder if she cracked his head? Then he died? A person should never do this. Poor Farney...
    Scott Michaels knows more about death than Dexter.

Sure she did! I'd love to believe that! Don't mess with Bette!

Quote Originally Posted by Reecy View Post
    A person should never do this.
    I agree Reecy Bad Bette!! Bad Bette!!

Interesting, I never knew about this before.

Cool, something to think about today. I guess ya just never know.

Perfect crime, cheatin bastard

Hes Got Betty Davis's Suprise
    "Shes got betty davis eyes"
    "Living is not measured in how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!"

I've read a ton about this. The WORST case scenario was he hit his head in an accident in New England. He was apparently not only a drunk, but he drank during the day, which Bette did not like. Well, at least not in the 1940s. They had lunch or an attorney meeting a week or so after the accident in Hollywood and he was unsteady on his feet on the street and she got angry and sort of pushed him, chiding him about being drunk. He fell over and hit his head and died. This is the WORST case, the best is both falls were accidents. Even if she pushed him, I don't think I'd brand her a murderer, it was an accident.

BD has always maintained Bette would never discuss these events, not even with her, so I guess everyone took it to the grave.

I think even if she had whacked him when she caught him in bed with someone else she would have gotten off. I would have done the same damn thing.
    Interesting though if she in deed did do him in lol

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I think even if she had whacked him when she caught him in bed with someone else she would have gotten off. I would have done the same damn thing.
    Interesting though if she in deed did do him in lol
    Girlfriend of mine caught her hubby in her bed with another she crept into the kitchen and got the biggest butcher knife she could find and ran into the room with it. Scared the poo outta both of them. She raised it above her head and slashed the waterbed halfway open. We still laugh about that one.

It's amazing how many people have affairs in their own bed! They are begging to get caught. Go get a hotel room or something, geez! I'd of whacked him too.

Back on topic. I think she hit on him. She probably didn't think it would lead to his death though.

Betty Davis always struck me as a angry, man hating closet lesbian and I wouldn't be surprised a bit if she did.
    Last edited by STRAIGHT; 06-03-2008 at 04:35 PM.

I was married only 5 months and came home early from work to catch my husband giving another man head. In our living room floor. The guy was nice, he apparently thought I was only a roommate so he stood up, covered himself and shook my hand while introducing himself.

I don't know why people do what they do Could I have killed him? This was in 1987 and even though I've always been a strong woman I didn't and couldn't have hurt him. Now?? I don't know if I would do anything above ground, let's leave it at that.

This was the first time I've ever heard of this story! Cool post!!!!!
    Last edited by cachluv; 06-03-2008 at 04:47 PM.
    "So, what, no fuckin' ziti now?"

Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    I was married only 5 months and came home early from work to catch my husband giving another man head. In our living room floor. The guy was nice, he apparently thought I was only a roommate so he stood up, covered himself and shook my hand while introducing himself.

I don't know why people do what they do
    Holy Crap, My father in law left my MIL for a man. I told my hub I dont look for it, I'm not the jealous type ,but if you get caught cheating, just call the lawyer. There will be no discussion. But I picture Bette as being a little more punitive. If he drank that much he probably didn't even know if he fell or got pushed.

I have heard this before and I would like to believe it....it would seem so Bette

I don't know why people do what they do Could I have killed him? This was in 1987 and even though I've always been a strong woman I didn't and couldn't have hurt him. Now?? I don't know if I would do anything above ground, let's leave it at that.

This was the first time I've ever heard of this story! Cool post!!!!!

Jesus Catch my sister had the same thing in 1958. I knew there was something odd about the guy because in every photo of this big ass wedding she had HE was holding the flowers! She never did a thing to him but my brothers kicked his ass ( that is what big brothers are for). I give you a lot of credit because I would be in prison today if it had been me.

I was too young and dumb to do anything about it. I really missed his friendship, for years to come too, but fuck that

It was actually pretty cool that it was a man instead of another woman, this way it had nothing to do with me.

I've told my husband now that if I find out he cheated I'll kill him and go turn myself in. Fuck that too
    Last edited by cachluv; 06-03-2008 at 08:37 PM.

here's one for battered women blanche!
    pull the string!

Can anyone answer why it's so hard to believe that one celebrity may have had a hand in someone's death but totally impossible for some other celebrity to have possibly done the same?

I was too young and dumb to do anything about it. I really missed his friendship, for years to come too, but fuck that

It was actually pretty cool that it was a man instead of another woman, this way it had nothing to do with me.

I've told my husband now that if I find out he cheated I'll kill him and go turn myself in. Fuck that too

Yeah I guess I could take it better that it was a man and not another woman for some reason. Fuck turning myself in. I would run my head into the fridge a few times and claim he tried to kill me. I am not doing time for any man LOL

If I recall correctly, the attache case that FARNSWORTH was carrying disappeared to. There were rumors that he was working on something technical for the war effort and that his death may have been carried out by someone else entirely.

Personally, I would bet on the simple version.

"Living is not measured in how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!"

Bette Davis - she is my favourite actress ever - she is second to none. My favourite Bette film is "Now Voyager" - seen it 100s of times and still cry at the end. Can watch Bette in anything - she really was wonderful.

Quote: "Let's not ask for the moon, we have the stars". (the last line in Now Voyager)

(They really don't make 'em like they used to - more's the pity!)

As you probably guess from my user name, I totally ADORE Bette.

As for BD, as Kelt put it so wonderfully, what a C**T!! I have read her book, and to be perfectly honest, if she wanted to make people dislike Bette, she failed miserably, In fact it made me love her even more...I'm sure there was NEVAH (as Bette would say!) a dull moment in her company..she drank, cussed people out and liked to create a bit of a drama...SO WHAT!!

Did you know that BD claims nowadays (from her ministry) that she can cure cancer and AIDS. What a silly bitch.

Bette totally adored and loved that wretch BD...it absolutely destroyed her when she heard about the book, and she was so ill...when Bette passed BD & family didn't go to the funeral...she was quoted as saying that when her mother died she "felt nothing" and that "technically she died for me years ago" I really detest that woman, I really do.

Bette's adopted son Michael has only ever said good things about Bette and doesn't speak to BD. Goes to prove that blood isn't always thicker than water, I guess. I've always maintained that BD must have inherited all of her father's rotten genes and none of Bette's. This is evidenced by her totally wooden acting in Baby Jane.
    TINNNAAAA!!!! BRING ME THE AXE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    One of her films I cherish the most, and for which she's largely forgotten, is Hush, Hush...Sweet Charlotte. I love the film itself--always have, probably for its 'horror movie' underpinnings--but Bette's performance, given the revelations at the end, is truly heartbreaking. The final shot of her looking out the back window of the police car, being taken away from the only home she's ever known and for which she's fought bitterly for for years, just tears me up. That, coupled with the GORGEOUS theme song, turns me into mush every single time.

Also, could there be better villains than Olivia de Havilland and Joseph Cotton? I loved that the movie turned de Havilland's "goody goody" image completely upside down. Her performance in this STILL scares me!

One of the greatest, most entertaining and underrated films of all time imo!
    Attached Images Attached Images