Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Infamous restaurants of death

Infamous restaurants of death

Reading the thread about that Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour and that plane crash, I have to wonder whatever became of the other restaurants that have seen their share of deaths?

I know that McDonalds near San Diego where more than 20 were shot to death is now defunct but whatever became of that Burger Chef in Indianapolis where back in the 70's, their staff was all shot to death in a robbery gone bad? Or that Taco Bell near Nashville where the same thing happened? Still in business?

Dittos with...
    *Starbucks in Washington, DC
    *Wendys in New York City ( Queens ? )
    *Chuck E. Cheese in Denver
    *Browns Chicken near Chicago
    *Luby's in Texas

or that Chi Chi's near Pittsburgh were so many got sick and died? I know the chain is gone but is that restaurant location now home to some other place?

Not far from me until recently we had a pizza restaurant where a man shot and killed his wife before shooting himself. The shootings took place in 1996 and the restaurant stayed in business for all these years. Come to think of it, I think the restaurant opened up the next day after the shootings.

Any other examples of restaurants where death took place there? And what became of them after their infamous moment?

The Killeen Luby's closed and reopened after cleanup, only to struggle throughout the following years and finally driven to shut down operations on September 9, 2000. A Chinese buffet, Yank Sing, currently occupies the building.
    Do not knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

Those are some really good questions. Maybe we can track down some answers. Hey, I know--we'll start a movement...our website will be savemurderhouses.com! Heh.
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

Fox and Hounds, where Jimmy Hoffa was last seen, closed down last year. It was on Telegraph Rd in West Bloomfield, MI

Here's one Umbertos in Little Italy Manhattan!
    NYC's Umberto's Clam House closes - New York, NY - Brief Article

Nation's Restaurant News, Jan 13, 1997

NEW YORK - Umberto's Clam House, an Italian seafood restaurant that was the site of one of the nation's most notorious Mob hits, closed after 25 years in business.
    Located in Manhattan's Little Italy neighborhood, Umberto's was the location where
    "Crazy" Joey Gallo was gunned down in 1972, just months after the restaurant opened.

The owner of the restaurant said business was too weak to justify bargaining for a new lease. Umberto's is one of several Little Italy tourist spots that have closed down in recent years because of high rents and the expansion of Chinatown into Little Italy's shrinking area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Which Pittsburgh CHI CHI's are you looking for? The one by me at Beaver Valley Mall closed and is now a Humphrey's very expensive hamburger joint.

Would any of you eat in those places if you knew what had occurred there ???

What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

]

Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post

or that Chi Chi's near Pittsburgh where so many got sick and died? I know the chain is gone but is that restaurant location now home to some other place?

The building still stands, but it has been empty all of this time....like a memorial of sorts......
    Marilyn Monroe and Lana Clarkson........taken before their time......RIP! And Michael....because of you, my childhood is Gone Too Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    Yup. Yup. I sure would.

The Burger Chef incident really spooked me...I wasn't aware of that one! It is apparently the most notorious unsolved crime in Indianapolis history!...When I was a kid (about 2 or 3 years old) I can remember my parents taking me to Burger Chef (my favorite restaurant), and getting me the Star Wars Fun Meals...Ahh the memories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_Chef_murders

More info...And some comments from somebody that knew one of the victims...

http://www.thebawdycloister.com/burg...apolis_in.html
    Last edited by Seagorath; 06-29-2008 at 09:09 AM.

Roger Dale Stafford executed 6 employees at a south Oklahoma City Sirloin Stockade July 16, 1978. They closed the reaturant and tore it down.

Roger Dale Stafford...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/i..._A7_Roger00052

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Roger Dale Stafford executed 6 employees at a south Oklahoma City Sirloin Stockade July 16, 1978. They closed the reaturant and tore it down.

Oh yeah..in a heartbeat!
    Count on it, pee-drinking crap face!

The Wendy's in question was shut down and months later converted into a Hong Kong style mini-mall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy%27s_massacre

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    The Wendy's in question was shut down and months later converted into a Hong Kong style mini-mall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy%27s_massacre
    Please forgive me for my foolishness, but..what the hell is a "hong kong style mini-mail"???
    Count on it, pee-drinking crap face!

As mentioned by Choff, here is a link to that incident at the McDonalds in San Ysidro.

On that day 20 years ago, an unemployed security guard, James Oliver Huberty, walked into a McDonald's in San Ysidro, just north of the U.S.-Mexico border, and began shooting. Armed with three guns, he killed 21 people, including five children and six teenagers, and wounded 19 before he was shot and killed by a police sniper.

http://www.mcmurder.com/1980/1984-07-18_b.html
    Last edited by GravesEnd; 06-29-2008 at 11:45 AM.
    The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysterian View Post
    Here's one Umbertos in Little Italy Manhattan!
    NYC's Umberto's Clam House closes - New York, NY - Brief Article

Nation's Restaurant News, Jan 13, 1997 NEW YORK - Umberto's Clam House, an Italian seafood restaurant that was the site of one of the nation's most notorious Mob hits, closed after 25 years in business.
    Located in Manhattan's Little Italy neighborhood, Umberto's was the location where
    "Crazy" Joey Gallo was gunned down in 1972, just months after the restaurant opened.

The owner of the restaurant said business was too weak to justify bargaining for a new lease. Umberto's is one of several Little Italy tourist spots that have closed down in recent years because of high rents and the expansion of Chinatown into Little Italy's shrinking area.
    I was going to post this! The food was great, though. I still have a matchbook somewhere...
    <a href=http://www.findadeath.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1056&dateline=1232680113 target=_blank>http://www.findadeath.com/forum/imag...ine=1232680113</a>

There have been a few murders at the McDonalds around Richmond. They've all remained open... It's kind of freakish knowing you're standing somewhere ordering something on the exact same spot someone died at. I even deliberately eat at two in particular because of the morbid factor (one was a double and at both the victims supposedly died on the floor immediately after being shot).

They were 24 hour restaurants then they changed to have a closing schedule.

Choff
    or that Chi Chi's near Pittsburgh were so many got sick and died? I know the chain is gone but is that restaurant location now home to some other place?
    Is that why they closed? It always seemed like such a popular restaurant then it disappeared.
    ♥♥♥

There wer so mnay places in Chicago that had mob hits. In OLd Town especially. I went to quite a few of them.
    Click here: RED LION PUB
    off topic
    Here is a great site for thse of us in ChicagoGHOSTS OF THE PRAIRIE & DARK HAVEN ENTERTAINMENT: HAUNTINGS SINCE 1994

The Chuck E. Cheese in Denver never reopened. A couple of different restaurants have since opened in that location.

The most recent one was a KFC manager in Merrillville that was shot to death by the assistant manager. This guy killed her, hung out in the parking lot waiting for the other employees to show up, and when they found her, acted surprised.

An owner of a local middle eastern restaurant was found dead in the restaurant a couple of years ago. I think it was more of a hate crime since they only took a couple dollars from the register and didn't touch the safe.

There was another murder in Valpo at a Burger King. I think one of the managers planned to rip off the store but the other manager interrupted her or something. I think she locked her in the freezer and set fire to the restaurant. I can't seem to find any articles online about it.

Quote Originally Posted by msmojorisin84 View Post
    Please forgive me for my foolishness, but..what the hell is a "hong kong style mini-mail"???
    Floors of a building that have been divided into small, compartmentalized shops. A typical mini-mall will hold dozens of these small stores, many of them the size of walk-in closets!

There's a mini mall in my city like the one described above except the stores are larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorey View Post
    Which Pittsburgh CHI CHI's are you looking for? The one by me at Beaver Valley Mall closed and is now a Humphrey's very expensive hamburger joint.
    Gorey, that's the one the OP was referring to. That's the Chi Chi's that had the outbreak from the green onions.
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    The only reason I watched the entire thing was because I was wondering who the middle aged lesbian white woman was in the house full of Armenians. Then I found out it was Bruce Jenner.

My husband worked at a Chi Chi's back in the early '90s, he started out as a cook then did some bartending,I also worked as the "beer" girl over Cinco de meyo (sp??) anyway, they closed down due to $$$$ they just weren't making it..
    Some People are like slinkies....Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Tables Restaruant in Sydney's suburb Pymble, has just been found guilty of serving an asparagus sauce that killed an 83 yr old man!

Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Tables Restaruant in Sydney's suburb Pymble, has just been found guilty of serving an asparagus sauce that killed an 83 yr old man!
    How does asparagus sauce kill someone?
    The only reason I watched the entire thing was because I was wondering who the middle aged lesbian white woman was in the house full of Armenians. Then I found out it was Bruce Jenner.

Oh apparently there is a serious bacteria that can come about!

The Asparagus sauce was about 48hrs old which is too old.

Basically he died of food poisioning from the sauce! Being 83 possibly didnt help.

Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Oh apparently there is a serious bacteria that can come about!

The Asparagus sauce was about 48hrs old which is too old.

Basically he died of food poisioning from the sauce! Being 83 possibly didnt help.
    Damn!! That's horrible!

There was a double murder in a Duchess restaurant (a local chain in Connecticut) in Ansonia. I cannot recall the date, except it seems like almost 10 years ago, and a quick 'n' dirty search didn't give me any more info. Here's what I remember.

The story was that a man who was on leave from the service (Navy, I think) shot a former girlfriend who was working there and the man he believed she was seeing on the side, the married manager of the place, who interfered with the attack (however, it appears that he was only trying to help the woman.) The building was closed for several weeks during the investigation and clean-up, but reopened with new tilework and stuff, and is open to this day.

The oddball thing I recall personally is that I and my son were in the restaurant a couple of days before the murders, and while standing at the counter, overheard a conversation between a couple of the girls working the counter. One girl mentioned that so-and-so was coming to town that weekend, and the other girl asked "aren't you worried?" to which the other lightly replied "oh no, I'm not scared."

It gave me chills for a while afterward, that I might have overheard the future victim talking about her future killer (they never printed her picture or showed it on TV, so I'll probably never know.)

Quote Originally Posted by malaki View Post
    My husband worked at a Chi Chi's back in the early '90s, he started out as a cook then did some bartending,I also worked as the "beer" girl over Cinco de meyo (sp??) anyway, they closed down due to $$$$ they just weren't making it..
    That's b/c their salsa tasted like Windex.

You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

Here's a link on the Texas Luby's massacre

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...ighlight=lubys

and one on the TCBY killings

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...ighlight=lubys

There was a Pizza Hut not far from me back in Virginia where a man walked in the restaurant and discovered his wife was having dinner with her boyfriend. The husband walks out of the Pizza Hut but returns within seconds, with a gun and shoots both the wife, her lover and himself.

Not only is the Pizza Hut still in business today but the restaurant I am pretty sure re-opened within an hour or two after the bodies left that Pizza Hut.

Same town, back in the mid 80s there was a shooting at a local Mr. Donut late one night. Two employees were shot to death in a robbery. The robber was never found. N The shootings/robbery really killed the business for the Mr. Donut ( sorry for the pun ) as that place closed within a month. The building stayed empty for a while ( about 3 years ) until Dunkin Donuts moved in there. And as with the case of that Florida TV station and Christine Chubbuck, among the employees not only the talk of those shootings were taboo, but for quite awhile Dunkin Donuts claimed they never heard of any shootings that took place there.

Ah..I am sure Dunkin Donuts knew about what happened when they bought the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    There was a Pizza Hut not far from me back in Virginia where a man walked in the restaurant and discovered his wife was having dinner with her boyfriend. The husband walks out of the Pizza Hut but returns within seconds, with a gun and shoots both the wife, her lover and himself.

Not only is the Pizza Hut still in business today but the restaurant I am pretty sure re-opened within an hour or two after the bodies left that Pizza Hut.
    Isn't that a health hazard? That seems pretty impossible to me. I mean, it was a crime scene. What year was that?

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Isn't that a health hazard? That seems pretty impossible to me. I mean, it was a crime scene. What year was that?
    This happened I believe in 1998, maybe 1999. This took place in Hagerstown, Maryland but I remember the local TV news report about this incident saying that the place re-opened within a few hours. At the time my sister was friends with some of the employees at a nearby Red Lobster and they told her that the Pizza Hut was reopened within 90 minutes.They were very surprised the place re-opened at all that day. Now was the entire restaurant open for those to eat in as normal or just for carry-outs and delivery, that I am not sure but acording to their local TV and that Red Lobster, they were doing business that night.

The Broad Arrow Cafe has been converted into a "place for quiet reflection", where Martin Bryant killed 20 people, though the total killed at Port Arthur that days was 35 (with 21 injured).

I know the restaurant La Poccella where Gatto shot dead Veniamin as part of the gangland wars in Melbourne closed down shortly after, but has now reopened as a chinese restaurant here. I believe the Brunswick club is still open as well after the hitmen killed Lewis Moran there in 2004.

This Wendy's shooting in Palm Beach, Florida happened just a few months ago...and being the Death Hag that I am, I drove there the following day and ordered an ice-cold coke, a large order of fries, and a FROSTY!...in the drive-thru of course...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_We...#39;s_shooting

The Broad Arrow Cafe was the WORST in history. I've done EXTENSIVE research on that case and MANY believe that Martin Bryant didn't do it. I will be posting all of my data soon. The killer also RECORDED the shooting at the Broad Arrow cafe with a VHS recorder, but the Australian hierarchy have it now...it will NEVER be released. From what I've been told by witnesses...HEADS WERE EXPLODING EVERYWHERE THAT DAY...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Ar...28Australia%29

Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    The Broad Arrow Cafe has been converted into a "place for quiet reflection", where Martin Bryant killed 20 people, though the total killed at Port Arthur that days was 35 (with 21 injured).

I know the restaurant La Poccella where Gatto shot dead Veniamin as part of the gangland wars in Melbourne closed down shortly after, but has now reopened as a chinese restaurant here. I believe the Brunswick club is still open as well after the hitmen killed Lewis Moran there in 2004.

The Beaver Valley ChiChi's is still standing It's part of the Mall complex. But noone ever died IN there. Everyone went home then went to the hospital to die. A friend of mine ate there and almost died he was in the hospital for 3 weeks. Now in Pittsburgh we do have a few McDonald's that there's been shootings at, and people died.

Okay there are so many here in New Orleans...one place I go to all the time is LA Pizza Kitchen ..and I was not here when it happeend but I do recall hearing a ton about the murders that happened there...they put them all in the freezer and shot them...Ill look for info...they are not there tho..I eat there all the time and I never feel them there. But very violent deaths. Anyone know what Im atlking about?? I dont rember the case??

Same thing happened at a Waffle House here in South Florida (VERY CLOSE to where I once worked)...The robbers ushered them all into the freezer and shot them in the head execution style...This trend seems to continue...ALL restaurants and public places need "HIGH-RESOLUTION" security cameras nowadays!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Okay there are so many here in New Orleans...one place I go to all the time is LA Pizza Kitchen ..and I was not here when it happeend but I do recall hearing a ton about the murders that happened there...they put them all in the freezer and shot them...Ill look for info...they are not there tho..I eat there all the time and I never feel them there. But very violent deaths. Anyone know what Im atlking about?? I dont rember the case??

yeah they do!!! Usally its the pissed off dishwasher or cook tho....

http://www.donteatpoop.com/

Here we go - inspections; this could help prevent death, as long as a shoot out isn't planned for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post

Lots of "steak finger" jokes at high school then. Was sad thou, I went to school with the Managers (Louis Zacarias) kids.. he was really a nice guy.
    "My dixie wrecked, ... can ya help a brother out?"

You're asking that question of this group?
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

As far as I know, the Brown's Chicken building in Palatine, IL was razed a while back. It never reopened after the murders.

Smile

The bread had better be good!

Every time I eat at McDonald's, my colon dies a little.

Quote Originally Posted by SinKittyVixen View Post
    Yup. Yup. I sure would.
    Me too
    Christina (4-8-1980/ 2-22-2008)
    "Where'er you roam, whatever realms you see,
    My Heart, untraveled, fondly follows thee..."

"You are my center when I spin away..." TY

"Jazbabee:
    Would any of you eat in those places if you knew what had occurred there ??? "

---I would almost have to.
    "So, what, no fuckin' ziti now?"

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    How does asparagus sauce kill someone?
    Believe it or not, in the stem on asparagus, there is a poison that can do damage if ingested in VERY high quantities. It is similar to the poison in the white insides of peppers. I have never heard of people dying but I have heard of people getting so sick that they wish they had! lol

I doubt if this had anything to do with the asparagus sauce. I am sure it was not stored properly and developed a bacteria. Very rare but it can happen with a wide variety of food, obviously.

I am a Chef, which is why I know these things...
    Christina (4-8-1980/ 2-22-2008)
    "Where'er you roam, whatever realms you see,
    My Heart, untraveled, fondly follows thee..."

"You are my center when I spin away..." TY