Thread: Lara Croft to be Rape Victim in new 'Tomb Raider' game

Lara Croft to be Rape Victim in new 'Tomb Raider' game

Unbelieveable! Now we have rape in video games. Most of the action video games are bad enough but now they are crossing a whole different line!

Quote Originally Posted by Hughsgirl View Post
    Unbelieveable! Now we have rape in video games. Most of the action video games are bad enough but now they are crossing a whole different line!
    Tomb Raider is my fav game played it since I was like 14.....I was totally pissed when I read this

Totally unnecessary.

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

yeah, what a game it is.
    I hate this fucking world sometimes.

Why? You have a strong female character that some female gamers like to play to feel EMPOWERED. Why would you do that? It is a game...it doesn't need to bring in real life stuff in that way....not THIS game...
    Who loves not a false imagining, an unreal character in us; but looking through all the rubbish of our imperfections, loves in us the divine ideal of our natures - not the man that we are, but the angel that we may be. ~Tennyson
    "

There is so much ugly in the world. I don't know why we keep manufacturing it for the things we're supposed to use to escape it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughsgirl View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there already rape in Grand Theft Auto?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    I don't think so. Unless you are referring to when you pick up a prostitute; kill her and take your money back?
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3gox5V3VL1rtfnc7o1_500.gif
    Abandon all hope.

Gawdalmighty! Someone needs to slap these game creators upside the head.
    "Canada may no longer have the penny but I have plenty of "cents" that is common"- pwem

The developers are now denying it is a "rape" or "attempted rape" sequence:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...tcmp=obnetwork
    Who loves not a false imagining, an unreal character in us; but looking through all the rubbish of our imperfections, loves in us the divine ideal of our natures - not the man that we are, but the angel that we may be. ~Tennyson
    "

Nothing like a bit of publicity to stir up interest, eh? I shoulda known.
    "Canada may no longer have the penny but I have plenty of "cents" that is common"- pwem

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    I wouldn't know, I'm not a gamer. I just happened to see this post and I was disgusted by it. So I posted what I had to say. Game or movies we need to get rid of the nasty crap of everyday life. Kids are in trouble enough without being further influenced.

I like how the original linked title states in no uncertain terms that she "will be a rape victim". No if ands or buts. But with a little research you find that to be totally untrue and yet the bashing begins. Read for yourself and look at the video in question.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/19536-...ed-rape-scene/

ok, the scene is not as bad as the media or reports is making it out but still it wasn't needed in the game either way.
    [I] "There comes a time in every women's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne."[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by doyleloyal View Post
    ok, the scene is not as bad as the media or reports is making it out but still it wasn't needed in the game either way.
    This game has a theme that only people familiar with this particular game series would understand. If you have ever played Tomb Raider, all you know Lara Croft to be is a bad ass. This game is intended to show the player how she got there. In that context, the scene makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    This game has a theme that only people familiar with this particular game series would understand. If you have ever played Tomb Raider, all you know Lara Croft to be is a bad ass. This game is intended to show the player how she got there. In that context, the scene makes perfect sense.
    I agree. I love the Tomb raider and play them constantly...what I meant was I feel like the interview said "protective" of her and that was my immediate reaction to it but for about 5 seconds the scene tended to be a little much just for me personally bc she is a badass and I didn't like seeing her in that vulnerable moment but I totally get ya..
    [I] "There comes a time in every women's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne."[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    I just saw the video and I agree. It fits into the context of the later stories of why she is the way she is. You can see how terrified she is in this video. Not something you see in later games.

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    I just saw the video and I agree. It fits into the context of the later stories of why she is the way she is. You can see how terrified she is in this video. Not something you see in later games.

It doe's fit into how Lara became the Lara Croft we know. I'm looking forward to this game and it'll be a pre-order for me. I watched the E3 coverage of it and laughed when in one part you hear Lara say I hate tombs lol. It's basically her back story.
    RIP Simon North my best friend gone but never forgotten 07/05/1979 - 09/06/2011

I see...can't wait to play it, when does it come out?

I read a little more about the game. It really is about her transformation. You'll start out as this timid young lady caught up in some horrific situation and fearful at every turn. Then as you face each evolving situation, you'll gain experience to help you cope and eventually build your charecter into what she has become. Be cool to play this and then some of the others again.