Thread: Stinky "Corpse" Flower in Full Bloom

Stinky "Corpse" Flower in Full Bloom

SAN MARINO, Calif. -- It's time to wake up and smell the rotten flesh in San Marino. A so-called corpse flower, known for its less-than-pleasant stench, is blooming.

The new plant began to bloom Wednesday afternoon at The Huntington Library in San Marino. Ever since, thousands have flocked to the library's botanical gardens to take a peek, and a whiff.

The rare flowering happens once every few years or more.

The Amorphophallus titanum is being called "Son of Stinky" because it was reproduced from the seed of another corpse flower that bloomed at the Huntington in 1999 - the first such bloom ever in California. That same plant bloomed once again in 2002.

Library spokeswoman Lisa Blackburn says the flower itself is beautiful, but "you just have to get past the stench."

The flower has already begun to close and is expected to fully close within a day or two.

After that, it's a guessing game as to when it will bloom again.

Corpse flowers come from Sumatra.

Some people travel the world hoping to witness the stinky plant at the moment it blooms.

Photos:
    http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/la-...5.photogallery

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,3028604.story

Guest Guest
    I'm telling ya...I have a neighbor that has a plant that looks exactly like this one...it's the ugliest flower I've ever seen...it's HUGE...and it hasn't opened yet...the lady just moved in the place and the guy that lived there before had quite the green thumb...I wonder? could it be the same plant and if so I feel horrible for the woman...it's planted in front of her front porch!

Perhaps the perfect flower for us hags? lol

No, only if it sprouted death scene photos and an autopsy report.

If you ever smell this thing you will know what rotting flesh/body smells like lol Beauty is one thing but the smell is quite another ...ugh

It is a pretty flower, but pretty only goes so far with a smell like that.

I want one.

Audrey III ????

What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

]

Quote Originally Posted by priceless View Post
    I want one.

Damn, now I want to smell it just to see how bad it really is.
    ♥♥♥

There's one at some botany garden in Atlanta. I have no urge to go stiff it though.
    Do not knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

Quote Originally Posted by Ratgrrl View Post
    Damn, now I want to smell it just to see how bad it really is.
    It must smell pretty bad if people have to hold their noses.

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    If you ever smell this thing you will know what rotting flesh/body smells like lol Beauty is one thing but the smell is quite another ...ugh
    I happen to already know what rotting flesh smells like and it t'aint pretty

I work in a long term care facility and one time this person had a sore on their foot that did not get taken care of due to resident refusing care for it (person was diabetic as well) and the md tried and tried to get her to let us take care of it and she kept refusing.

Well, it got to the point that it was turning necrotic and the md tried to get her to amputate when it was in her toes, then half way up her foot, then her foot, and still no. She kept saying that she lived as long as she had and if it meant that she was going to die she wanted to die with all her parts.

It got all black and narly. Looked like a mummy foot/leg (it got up to her mid calf and the rest of the leg was flaming red). As a comfort measure we had to put a dry dressing and wrap it with kerlex like twice a day (for the drainage and such). The smell could gag a maggot. It smelled like hot garbage rolled in crap that had been in an outhouse for 10 years. Everytime I would dress her foot I would have to stop every so often and dry heave. She would just lay there not really moving and she just gave up and refused to eat/drink/etc. Then she finaly died but it took a while. I can still smell it as it is burned in my memory.

Long story short these people are fools to want to smell that!
    Last edited by Donnagg123; 06-20-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnagg123 View Post

It got all black and narly. Looked like a mummy foot/leg (it got up to her mid calf and the rest of the leg was flaming red). As a comfort measure we had to put a dry dressing and wrap it with kerlex like twice a day (for the drainage and such). The smell could gag a maggot. It smelled like hot garbage rolled in crap that had been in an outhouse for 10 years. Everytime I would dress her foot I would have to stop every so often and dry heave. She would just lay there not really moving and she just gave up and refused to eat/drink/etc. Then she finaly died but it took a while. I can still smell it as it is burned in my memory.
    Jesus!!

The flower's colors are really pretty. Wouldn't that be a great color for a wedding?
    "Oh, so how did you pick your colors?" asked inquisitive guest.
    "Oh, it is the color of the 'Corpse' flower ."
    "Oh, what is that? "
    "Well, it is a rare flower that smells like a rotting corpse".
    Last edited by okidoll; 06-20-2009 at 11:38 AM.

I don't see one person in the photo holding their nose.
    They must love the smell of rotting flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    It must smell pretty bad if people have to hold their noses.
    Yeah but, does it really smell like a dead body?...
    ♥♥♥

Too bad they don't come in bouquet size

"I'm dumbfounded by me all the time. Wow! What a. . . thrill. . .and a joy."
    RIP Layne Staley

Quote Originally Posted by priceless View Post
    I want one.
    I want TWO! One for each of my worthless ex-employers!

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    There's one at some botany garden in Atlanta. I have no urge to go stiff it though.
    tee hee, you said stiff it

Quote Originally Posted by TallulahDahling View Post
    I want TWO! One for each of my worthless ex-employers!
    Wouldnt it be cheaper and easier to just take a shit on their porch?
    Suck it.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Wouldnt it be cheaper and easier to just take a shit on their porch?
    Might not be as colorful though !!!

What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

]

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBill View Post

The rare flowering happens once every few years or more.
    Yes, once every one to three years.

They get big too, on 20 October 2005, in Wilhelma, Stuttgart, Germany the bloom reached a height of 2.94 m (9 ft. 6 in.).
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

"When they start burning books, in the end, they will also burn people." - Heiner, 19th century German poet.
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I remember Dennis the Menace made his neighbor miss the bloom. Why do I remember that?

You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

We have one in the arboretum at UW that blooms later in the summer. My dad would like to come and see it. I told him to just go and take a pic for me~and no scratch and sniff!
    Wanna see my grandkids?

I just heard on the BBC that the funkified Corpse Flower has just bloomed it's annual bloom once again, much to the awestruck but nose-holding hoardes who turned out to see it.

La di da, la di da, la la.

It must be the perfect death-hag flower, because the reaction is eww...but cool...but gross...but let me come up for a closer look!
    Seems like a beautiful-looking flower. I'd be curious about the smell; I haven't smelled dead/rotting human flesh...yet...
    "I like my big old granny panties, but I don't want them big enough to bunch up and make it look like I shit my pants." - Mammy

I'm guessing these flowers aren't popular to put on people's graves?
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/530795_481271845246726_1189858655_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I'm guessing these flowers aren't popular to put on people's graves?
    Some dirtbag would steal it.
    Please don't U.K. my U.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    It must be the perfect death-hag flower, because the reaction is eww...but cool...but gross...but let me come up for a closer look!
    Seems like a beautiful-looking flower. I'd be curious about the smell; I haven't smelled dead/rotting human flesh...yet...
    Yep, that's a perfect description. Get in on a trip to your local morgue hosted by some group or other to get the aromatic effect. Ya got slip into where they keep the fresh ones though.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Some dirtbag would steal it.
    I would be just the dirtbag to do it! I need something like that to keep my neighbors and their shitting mutts off my yard!

Anyways, there is always the Voodoo Lily for our sniffing pleasure! I supplied a link for some that are supposedly for sale. The descriptions on some of these are quite amusing!
    http://www.plantdelights.com/Amorpho...s/products/49/

I wonder if dogs like the smell of it? They seem to be enticed by the scent of rotting things.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    I just heard on the BBC that the funkified Corpse Flower has just bloomed it's annual bloom once again, much to the awestruck but nose-holding hoardes who turned out to see it.
    But I don't wanna smell it. I ould have sworn reading in AJ a several years ago about one blooming in a public garden in Atlanta, but I can't find anything about it.
    Last edited by cindyt; 07-22-2013 at 11:27 PM.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

But I don't wanna smell it. I ould have sworn reading in AJ a several years ago about one blooming in a public garden in Atlanta, but I can't find anything about it.
    I remember there being a news story about that one awhile back. Maybe it died or was moved?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    I remember there being a news story about that one awhile back. Maybe it died or was moved?
    Could be. I'll look some more. I'm just curious. Score! http://www.motherearthliving.com/gardening/A-blooming-miracle.aspx#axzz2Zqrr8R3h

Last edited by cindyt; 07-23-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Could be. I'll look some more. I'm just curious. Score! http://www.motherearthliving.com/gardening/A-blooming-miracle.aspx#axzz2Zqrr8R3h

"Feed me, Seymour...feed me alllll night longgggg!!"
    "I like my big old granny panties, but I don't want them big enough to bunch up and make it look like I shit my pants." - Mammy

Yay!

Back and forth between Pittsburgh and Tampa

Speaking of stinky corpse flowers...

Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh has Romero, a rare corpse flower. The public can get a first peek tonight before he blooms, complete with blood-red Romerotinis being offered in the Cafe Phipps August 9.
    http://phipps.conservatory.org/visit-phipps/index.aspx

Let's Go Penguins!
    2014 NHL Playoffs