Thread: Mississippi's Governor Releases Michael David Graham

Mississippi's Governor Releases Michael David Graham

Michael Graham basically blew his ex-wife's head off with a shotgun at close range in 1989, and now his sentence has been commuted by the governor.

From the Mississippi Press:

Convicted killer's release triggers community anger

Nancy Northern said Friday that she's outraged her aunt's killer is being released from prison today -- courtesy of Gov. Haley Barbour -- after he served only 19 years of a life sentence.

The governor this week commuted 54-year-old Michael David Graham's sentence for murdering Northern's aunt, Adrienne Klasky Graham. Graham has been incarcerated since 1989 and has been a trusty at the governor's mansion for the last eight years.

"I've written a letter to Haley Barbour telling him that he should stay in prison," Northern said. "He ruined my family and now the governor is giving him a second chance. No one gave my aunt a second chance. He took her away from us -- her father, her mother, her children, my mother, all of us."
    When contacted Friday and told of Klasky's family and the community being outraged over the governor's decision, Pete Smith, spokesman for Barbour, declined to comment, saying, "We've released all of the information we are going to."

There are no restrictions on where Graham can live in the state, said Suzanne Singletary, director of the communications division at the Mississippi Department of Corrections.

Klasky's family has heard rumors of Graham planning to live in Hinds County, but Singletary said the state agency does not disclose relocation destinations for inmates. Smith said Thursday that Graham will not live in Jackson County, but was unsure of the convicted felon's plans.
    Singletary said details of Graham's commuted sentence are still being worked out.

"He will have to check in with parole officers once he's released as if he's on parole," Singletary said. "He'll always be a convicted felon. That won't change."

Singletary called Graham's commuted sentence "an indefinite suspended sentence."

"It can be revoked," she said. "It all depends on his good behavior."
    Graham shot his ex-wife at close range with a 12-gauge shotgun as she sat in her car at a traffic signal at the intersection of Jackson Avenue and Pascagoula Street on April 7, 1989. He left the scene, but later turned himself in to authorities at the urging of his attorney, Don Sigalas. The couple had been divorced for three years and she alleged he was stalking and threatening her regularly.

Jamie Hunter retired from the Pascagoula Police Department in June. As a young detective, Hunter was one of the first officers to arrive at the scene. He said Klasky's murder still haunts him.

"It's one of the most gruesome I've ever seen," said the 32-year law enforcement officer. "I still remember that day vividly."

Hunter said when he arrived, Klasky was still sitting in the driver's seat of her vehicle. Graham had pulled into the oncoming lane and fired from the right side of his truck into the driver's side of her car. The shot struck Klasky in the left temple, killing her instantly.

"It was at close range," Hunter said. "A shotgun blast to the head. It was gruesome."

Hunter said Klasky's father, Lyle, arrived on the scene and had to be consoled by officers. He was owner of then-Brumfield's Department Store and was just across the street from where his daughter was killed.
    "It was very emotional," Hunter said. "It's a mistake to let him out of jail."
    Hunter said the incident was difficult for the entire community on many levels.

"People thought we could indict him on a capital murder charge because it was premeditated," Hunter said, adding that he believes Graham planned his ex-wife's murder. "But that was not the way the law was written then. We charged him with what we could at the time. I wish we could have charged him with capital murder. I think he'd stalked her that day with the purpose of executing her -- that's exactly what he did -- execute her."
    Northern described Klasky as a kind, gentle woman who loved to laugh.
    "She was so funny," Northern said. "We used to make brownies together. She was a wonderful woman. He ruined my family. He should not be allowed to feel the sunshine, get an ice cream cone or see a rainbow. He should stay in prison for life like he was supposed to."

Graham has appeared before the state parole board three times since his incarceration, but was unsuccessful in his release attempts. Northern said she and other family members testified at those hearings that he should not ever be let out of prison. Smith said Thursday he's unsure if Barbour consulted the parole board before making the decision to release the convicted felon.

"He killed her in cold blood," Northern said. "He shot her in the face. Even if he's been a model prisoner, he does not deserve to be released."
    Hunter agreed with Northern.

"Some crimes that people commit do not deserve a second chance," Hunter said. "This was one of them."

CONTACT
    INFORMATION
    Gov. Haley Barbour's office can be reached at 601-359-3150.
    Last edited by Jack Raines; 07-20-2008 at 02:37 AM.

What the fuck is wrong with him?

Hopefully he'll un-fuck himself like our governor did recently.

Governors in the South are going to get a bad reputation, if they don't have one already!

Something tells me that one of the women's family members is going to find him and take care of business.

And that governor needs his ass kicked. WTF.
    "The greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fall." - Confucius

I never understood why he was released? Did the governor believe that he was innocent?
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Karma, in another article in the Press; his spokesman gave this excuse:

"Historically, governors have reviewed cases like that of Michael Graham, whose conduct as a prisoner earned him the right to work as a trusty at the governor's mansion -- where he has performed well and proven to be a diligent workman," said Pete Smith, a Barbour spokesman.

"The governor is giving him a chance, through an indefinite suspension of his sentence, to start a new life away from Pascagoula and Jackson County, pending his future good behavior. He will continue to be under the supervision of the Mississippi Department of Corrections throughout the period of this suspension of sentence as though he was on parole."

So this piece of shit gets another chance, while his ex-wife lies dead in a casket and her family has been robbed of justice.
    Last edited by Jack Raines; 07-20-2008 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    Karma, in another article in the Press; his spokesman gave this excuse:
    "Historically, governors have reviewed cases like that of Michael Graham, whose conduct as a prisoner earned him the right to work as a trusty at the governor's mansion -- where he has performed well and proven to be a diligent workman," said Pete Smith, a Barbour spokesman.

"The governor is giving him a chance, through an indefinite suspension of his sentence, to start a new life away from Pascagoula and Jackson County, pending his future good behavior. He will continue to be under the supervision of the Mississippi Department of Corrections throughout the period of this suspension of sentence as though he was on parole."

So this piece of shit gets another chance, while his ex-wife lies dead in a casket and her family has been robbed of justice.
    Thanks for that information Jack. I call bullshit. I hope this is the idiot's last term because he will never be elected again!
    Wanna see my grandkids?

So he was a model prisoner. So what?

He was still a cold blooded murderer who also stalked his victim. That hadn't changed.
    You can't get there from here. http://eclectech.co.uk/mindcontrol.php

Wow a cold blooded killer gets out because of an idiot mayor !!!!

I doubt he lasts long on the outside. I hope he gets what's coming to him one way or another.

He probably will meet some street justice on the outside. Which is fine by me.

Something doesn't smell right here at all. Is this a political bone being thrown to the bleeding hearts?

Quote Originally Posted by Adiposeur View Post

Something doesn't smell right here at all. Is this a political bone being thrown to the bleeding hearts?
    Bleeding hearts? Barbour was the Chairman of the Republican National Committee during the Republican revolution in 94. He is as right wing as they come. The "bleeding hearts" don't have anything to do with this.

His work at the Gov's mansion must have been outstanding..

I believe as well, he wont be free long. I think someone will have their final say in this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Bleeding hearts? Barbour was the Chairman of the Republican National Committee during the Republican revolution in 94. He is as right wing as they come. The "bleeding hearts" don't have anything to do with this.
    I'm very familiar with Gov. Barbour. My family lives in MS. His credentials aren't in question. He also has plenty of bi-partisan support. Right wing? Yes. But not without popular support from both sides. Anyway,

I was just throwing out suggestions. Justice in MS has a long and colorful history. My whole point was that normally people like this aren't freed.

I'd like to know why he decided to suspend this life sentence after serving 19 years. Especially when it's been rumored that as Gov., he doesn't even read pardon requests. Go look up the Kennard case.

The OP states that this will be like parole and subject to revocation. I wonder how long it would have been before he came up for parole again and why they didn't just do it then through the parole board. I want to know why the Gov. decided to take this route. And it appears as though his office is done speaking on the matter.

What the heck is a trusty at the governor's mansion, and why the heck are convicted murderers doing whatever that is?
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

This guy better be black if he isn't this is going to cause a big stir up. A trusty is a guy that "oversees" some kind of work usually in the prison but being a trusty at the Gov mansion is not too strange not in the south anyway. They are allowed to use prisioners for any kind of work.
    I lived there a long long time and in La and not to make this racist I am wondering if this man is white or black. I think there are some "friendships" involved in his letting this guy out and it just may send his career in a big as downward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by Adiposeur View Post

I'm a bleeding heart and I think that SOB should stay in prison, where he belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    This guy better be black if he isn't this is going to cause a big stir up. A trusty is a guy that "oversees" some kind of work usually in the prison but being a trusty at the Gov mansion is not too strange not in the south anyway. They are allowed to use prisioners for any kind of work.
    I lived there a long long time and in La and not to make this racist I am wondering if this man is white or black. I think there are some "friendships" involved in his letting this guy out and it just may send his career in a big as downward spiral.
    This guy is white, actually. The local ABC affiliate has a pic of him, and video footage of the crime scene with interviews with people close to the case: http://www.wlox.com/global/story.asp?s=8700124
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jack Raines; 07-20-2008 at 02:48 PM.

Well I think this Gov. desk is going to fill up with pardons requests or parole requests very very soon. He has opened a huge can of worms. If he can let out a guy that put a shot gun to his ex wives head and blew her away there are many more people with less violent crimes that should be let out too, so they think. I am going to call my brother and see what is going on down there about this LOL Having been raised down south I have seen a lot of injustice and this deal here is going to start a whole new uprising and I can't blame people for being pissed. Gov better get himself a new pen or put this guy back in. Who knows maybe this guy knows where a body is burried ?

That is politics.

That SOB should die behind bars and then be buried behind them.

I am in MS, and during this last governors' election, I did not bother to vote; as I did not care for either of my choices.

This is the first time since I was 18, that I simply did not vote.

I once hired a trusty (trustee?) from the MS Govenor's mansion; who was convicted of killing his wife. He was recommended by his former FATHER-IN-LAW , and he was one of my best employees.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    That is politics.

That SOB should die behind bars and then be buried behind them.

I am in MS, and during this last governors' election, I did not bother to vote; as I did not care for either of my choices.

This is the first time since I was 18, that I simply did not vote.

I once hired a trusty (trustee?) from the MS Govenor's mansion; who was convicted of killing his wife. He was recommended by his former FATHER-IN-LAW , and he was one of my best employees.
    I'm in MS too, right outside of Pascagoula, actually. Barbour is the worst governor the state's had that I can remember, I'll be glad when he's out of office. At this point, I'd vote for almost anyone over him.

And I just found out that Michael Graham's father used to repair my parent's central A/C when I was a kid. It's a small world after all...

Haley Barbour was crooked when he had his dealings with the RNC. Why in gods name he would commute this sentence is beyond me. And it is spelled trustee.

This guy won't last long on the outside...not with all the internet knowledge that's out there about the case. He certainly doesn't deserve to live in civilian population after committing such an act. It's just a matter of time before he gets strung up and cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    I'm in MS too, right outside of Pascagoula, actually. Barbour is the worst governor the state's had that I can remember, I'll be glad when he's out of office. At this point, I'd vote for almost anyone over him.

And I just found out that Michael Graham's father used to repair my parent's central A/C when I was a kid. It's a small world after all...
    Small world indeed.

Biloxi, here.

Bill Allain was another "memorable" Gov, what with the male prostitutes and all.

Jack and Jim,

Tupelo here. Personally, I like Barbour. I'm not going to get started in a war on politics, but I do want to do some research on why he let this guy out. I may not like him much longer depending on what I find.

On a side note - I sure wouldn't want to be this guy when he hits the streets in MS.

And to the poster above (sorry, I forgot who), Yes, this is his last term.
    Last edited by SheBoss; 07-21-2008 at 03:24 PM.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Murders are often model prisoners. It's not like most people kill more than once. There is no excuse for commuting the sentence.

Who cares what color the guy is! Grow a modern brain!

The prison here in MS (Parchman) has a fire dept, so I go down there pretty regularly. They are actually really good customers.

Most all of the firemen are murders and trustees. They are sweet men and I feel completely safe down there with them. That doesn't mean they should be let go. They killed someone's child, husband, father, brother, friend. They should stay where they are until they are dead. Just my $.02. And, BTW, they are both black and white firemen.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

O.K.

I accept.

And now I should be more comfortable with the fact that this POS killed my granddaughter?

I have plans for him; that he never expected; and I will enjoy enacting them.

This MOFO will suffer and die a terrible death; while I smile at his pAIN.

Jim,
    I'm lost. Did you know this dude? Please forgive if I've missed something. It's early in the morning!

People are still out-raged about this case... I hope Barbour is somehow impeached, for this and many other reasons.

Coast heckler interrupts Barbour

A Coast Democratic leader was escorted from the crowd watching Gov. Haley Barbour speak at the Neshoba County Fair on Thursday after she repeatedly yelled the name of the victim of a murderer Barbour recently freed from prison after the convict was a trusty at the Governor's Mansion.

As Barbour began his remarks at the Founders Square podium, Linda St. Martin began saying the name "Adrienne Klasky" over and over until she was escorted away.
    Adrienne Klasky Graham's ex-husband, Michael David Graham, killed his wife with a shotgun as she sat at a red light at a busy intersection in Pascagoula in 1989.
    Barbour's release of Graham has drawn outrage in South Mississippi.

St. Martin interrupted Barbour as he began his prepared remarks that touched on his wife's health, the Legislature's special session, his work to get a Medicaid budget, the Roger Wicker-Ronnie Musgrove Senate race and the presidential race.
    In an interview Thursday night, St. Martin said, "I just had to do something."
    St. Martin was at the fair as campaign manager for Joel Gill, who is running for the Third Congressional District seat that was held by Chip Pickering.

She also serves as vice chair of the Harrison County Democratic Party.
    "This woman can't speak for herself," St. Martin said. "Who will say the name of Adrienne Klasky? I made the decision today that I would.
    "I didn't like doing it that way. If there were any other choice. If the governor ever listened to anyone with an opinion other than his, he doesn't listen to anybody like that.

"The question is not why did I do this. The question is why did the governor release the man. Not why did I do it, but how long will I do it alone?

"How long will it be before thousands join in and say her name over and over wherever he goes? This governor insults the women of the state of Mississippi."

St. Martin said Barbour did not consult with the victim's family or anyone on the victim's list at the Mississippi Department of Corrections before releasing Graham.
    "Did he talk to one person on the board of directors for a battered women's shelter? Did he talk to one battered woman?" she said. "He says the man had an exemplary record inside the penal system. Well, he certainly didn't have one before he was in the penal system."

"The governor doesn't listen. He repeats the same talking points over and over like he's convinced it makes the point and wonders why the public doesn't get it. Well, the public is a little smarter than that."

http://www.sunherald.com/local/story/719980.html

Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    Jim,
    I'm lost. Did you know this dude? Please forgive if I've missed something. It's early in the morning!
    No, sorry Sheboss.

I ramble sometimes; especially after a Crown and tonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Who cares what color the guy is! Grow a modern brain!

YOu grow a modern brain.
    You have never lived in MS and it will matter to the other people of color when a man who pulled off a muder like this gets to walk free when they have people sitting in prison who are black that did far less.
    If you do not think racism is alive and well in MS you need to read the papers.

Did you read where this attorney was in prison for some felony and his wife is dying of brest cancer and they will not let him go see her? Why? Because they let him meet someone before and he went to a food joint that served booze. He did not have a drink , he is an alcohoic , but he cannot go see his dying wife and he killed no one, yet this guy who puts a shotgun to his ex wives head is out and enjoying life.

My brain is quite modern...and I can spell the word "murder"... I've known for decades that Mississippi was a truly racist state, and that many poor black people will serve more time than this loser (and for far less crimes). I agree that this is wrong.

This guy will be dead in a matter of months. That's how the civilian population needs to operate.

YOu grow a modern brain.
    You have never lived in MS and it will matter to the other people of color when a man who pulled off a muder like this gets to walk free when they have people sitting in prison who are black that did far less.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Small world indeed.

Biloxi, here.

Bill Allain was another "memorable" Gov, what with the male prostitutes and all.

We lived in Gulf Port and my brother and his family still live out side of pasagoola (sp) lol never did get that right..anyway he said people are pretty PO'D about this and talking about impeaching this Gov. If you let one murderer out then they rest want out too.

YOu grow a modern brain.
    I fear that racism is alive and "well", most anywhere you might travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    My brain is quite modern...and I can spell the word "murder"... I've known for decades that Mississippi was a truly racist state
    How many times have you been here? How many Mississippians do you know? Or are you just reciting what you have heard in the media? Yes; there are racists here; just as there are everywhere else. MS is no more racist than any other state; it is just a piece of geography and as such; has no ill intent toward anyone. The state is not racist; but a small number of the people here are; just like anywhere else.

That "get a modern brain" statement might indeed apply.

We lived in Gulf Port and my brother and his family still live out side of pasagoola (sp) lol never did get that right..anyway he said people are pretty PO'D about this and talking about impeaching this Gov. If you let one murderer out then they rest want out too.
    That's Pascagoula, NOVS...

Yeah; people are pretty pissed; and they should be.

Jim's right, MS isn't even close to being as racist these days as most people would probably assume.